Saturday, May 8, 2010

Telling Our Stories

Last summer I had the opportunity to attend the Laurel Writing project in Laurel Montana.  I followed this experience with a week long class at the Alberta Bair Theater here in Billings, Montana.  Sean and Melanie Layne lead the Summer Institute.  The Summer Institute is a partnership between Alberta Bair Theater and the Kennedy Center.

The two classes changed how I approached teaching.  They changed how I viewed myself as a teacher and as a writer.  My blogs were a direct result of the classes.  They gave me the confidence and the need to keep writing.  Writing to tell my individual story as well as to listen to the stories of my students.

One of the sites I found while working on my personal learning plan is the WritersCorps. "The WritersCorps helps low-income students improve their literacy and communication skills through creative instruction. Founded in 1994 with funding from the National Endowment for the Arts, WritersCorps operates programs in San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and the Bronx, NY."

One of the publications I bought is "Jump Write In!"  a book of creative writing exercises for grades 6-12. I have been utilizing it for ideas to use in this last quarter of school.  I have been so amazed by my students growth this year.  Telling Our Stories is a critical piece for me as a writer and as a teacher.



No comments:

Post a Comment