Saturday, October 23, 2010

Where Are You From?




That's a fairly direct question, but the answer to that is more complex.  The surface question is" Where do you live?", the underlying question is "What influences made you the person you are?"  These questions came to the surface for me a couple of years ago when I was introduced to two pieces of literature. "Where I am From" by George Ella Lyon and "Momma, Where are you From" by Marie Bradby.


As I thought how I would use it with my students, the possibilities tantalized me.  I was not the only person who was touched by George Ella Lyon's poem, other teachers had been inspired and shared their ideas and experiences.  I found a template for student's to write their own "Where I am From" poem.  I also found some great ideas at The Book Chook for using the poem with students. at The Book Chook, Sue has a link where George Ella Lyon reads her own poem. Using these pieces of literature would make a great bulletin board by combining your students poetry and a childhood snapshot.








No comments:

Post a Comment